Mac has a built-in messaging app called Messages that allows you to communicate with other Mac users as well as iPhone and iPad users. Every time you receive a new message, the app plays a sound notification. If you find this notification sound annoying, you can mute it. In this article, we’ll show you how to mute message sound on Mac.
Method 1: Mute Message Sound from System Preferences
The easiest way to mute message sound on Mac is through the System Preferences. Follow the steps below:
- Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen.
- Select “System Preferences” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Notifications.”
- Scroll down and find “Messages.”
- Click on “Messages.”
- Check the box next to “Turn off sound for notifications.”
That’s it! You have successfully muted message sound on your Mac. You will no longer hear a sound notification when you receive a new message.
Method 2: Mute Message Sound from Messages App
If you don’t want to go through the System Preferences, you can also mute message sound from the Messages app itself. Here’s how:
- Open the Messages app on your Mac.
- Click on “Messages” in the top left corner of your screen.
- Select “Preferences” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Notifications.”
- Check the box next to “Turn off message notifications.”
That’s it! You have successfully muted message sound on your Mac from the Messages app itself.
Method 3: Use Do Not Disturb
Another way to mute message sound on your Mac is by using the Do Not Disturb feature. This feature allows you to silence all notifications on your Mac for a specific period of time. Here’s how to use it:
- Click on the Notification Center icon in the top right corner of your screen (it looks like three lines).
- Swipe down to reveal the “Do Not Disturb” option.
- Click on “Do Not Disturb.”
You can also schedule Do Not Disturb to turn on automatically during certain times of the day. This is useful if you want to mute message sound during your work hours or when you’re sleeping.
Method 4: Use a Third-Party App
If none of the above methods work for you, you can try using a third-party app to mute message sound on your Mac. There are many apps available on the App Store that allow you to customize your notifications and mute specific apps. Some popular apps include MuteMe, Micro Snitch, and HazeOver.
Using a third-party app may require a one-time purchase or a subscription fee, so make sure to read the app’s description and reviews before downloading.
Muting message sound on your Mac is easy and can help you stay focused and productive. You can use the System Preferences, Messages app, Do Not Disturb feature, or a third-party app to mute message sound. Choose the method that works best for you and enjoy a quieter Mac experience!